Built a new workbench to replace the treated-lumber table I made a few years back. The problem with the old one was that it was made in a hurry (an hour before people were coming over to eat outside) so using wet treated lumber caused it to warp, and the casters were never really mounted in a way that made it easy to use. It just took up room and collected junk. What’s the point of having a workbench table if you don’t use it?
The goals of this version were:
- Super mobile – I want it to be able to move around the garage to wherever I need it
- Table saw height – I want to use it as an out-feed table. Also, I find working at the table saw comfortable because it’s just the right height (~37″)
- Rock solid – I want to be able to bang on it and put really heavy things on there without it warping or distorting
- Small enough to be functional – I want the table to not take up as much room as the other worktable, which just was a dumping ground for 4×8 sheets of plywood. The size of the top is just large enough to accommodate the bed project I’m designing.
- Easy clamping – I want to be able to clamp work pieces down to the table really easily. The 2×4 lip around the edge of the table made clamping a dream.
- Good work surface – I like using the cast-iron top of the table saw for general working, but I don’t like to risk damaging the top. I also like the flat and smoothness of MDF, but it can damage easily. I chose this cool black melamine top, which combines flatness and easy to clean surface (one that glue squeeze-out will be easy to clean)
Also, I have a wood-vice that I never use because it’s attached to an old fixed workbench. I eventually want to move it to the work table since it’ll be able to roll around.
It turned out really well. The table is incredibly sturdy, and won’t budge when I jump on it. The drop from the table saw to the floor was loud but didn’t do anything at all to the table. The Rockler casters I used lock in all dimensions, so when locked, it won’t budge at all, but rolls over extension and air hoses with ease. For good measure, I added a 1/8″ round over on the top, making it more user-friendly.
Here’s the build: