Our patio has seemed bare, so I built a raised planter for the patio. I ultimately ended up going with treated pine lumber, since it was vastly cheaper than cedar. I’m not too concerned about possible chemical leakage since I lined it with plastic anyway.
Some techniques I thought I would experiment with:
Mortise/Dado joints – I thought I’d try my hand at chiseling some dados to add stability to the planter.
Routing – I got a cheapie router and router table, thought I would give it a try for slotting the bottom tracks.
Here’s how it went.
Chiseling is a lot of work, even in pine. It was painstaking and frustrating at times, but worth it.
It’s solid. The only fasteners on the planter are 16 lag screws, four on each leg, compressing in both directions.
It’s heavy. With the dirt in, it’s almost impossible to move. You have to wiggle it around.